Scientific drilling in the Chukchi Sea: Linking North Pacific and Arctic Ocean history
March 14 – 16, 2013
OSU Byrd Polar Research Center
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Conveners: Leonid Polyak, Julie Brigham-Grette, Bernard Coakley
Videos of selected workshop presentations are now available on our Vimeo page.
The fast retreat of Arctic sea ice opens new prospects for drilling in the Arctic Ocean, one of the last remaining Earth Science frontiers. The Chukchi margin is one of the most sensitive high-latitude areas to both climate and sea-level changes. We are convening a workshop that will bring together research groups involved in the surveying and investigation of the Chukchi Sea and adjacent areas of the Arctic Ocean – the northern margin of Beringia. This exchange of information and ideas is critical for outlining the major directions of further research, especially in relation to scientific drilling. The focus of the workshop is Late Cenozoic paleoceanography, but other research issues to be addressed by drilling at the Chukchi margin are welcomed for the discussion.
Partial travel support is available for a limited number of participants. Early-career researchers and graduate students are encouraged to apply. The total number of places available are limited in the first instance to 50. To apply, please send a brief statement of interest and a short CV to Leonid Polyak.
Location & Accommodations
Workshop meetings will be held at the Byrd Polar Research Center, located in Scott Hall on The Ohio State University campus. A block of 50 rooms has been reserved under the name "IODP Workshop" at the nearby University Plaza Hotel. Please see the Accommodation details page for more information.
- Leonid Polyak, Byrd Polar Research Center, Ohio State University, USA
- Julie Brigham-Grette, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA
- Bernard Coakley, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, USA
- Ruediger Stein, Alfred Wegener Institute, Germany
- Matt O'Regan, Stockholm University, Sweden
- Seung-Il Nam, Korean Polar Research Institute, Korea
- Tatsuhiko Sakomoto, Mie University, Japan
- Guillaume St-Onge, University of Quebec, Rimouski, Canada